SENIOR PROJECT MANAGER
Position: Senior Project Manager
Company Description (For Recruiters and Candidates)
Alloy Fabrication is a custom fabricator of industrial process equipment. We specialize in the manufacturing of tanks, stacks, furnace parts, and other complex fabrications. Backed by more than 35 years in business, our company has developed strong relationships with customers in chemical processing, steelmaking, food/beverage, and the water industry, among many others.
Alloy has grown to be one of Berks County’s premier fabricators of operations-critical equipment. The company has approximately 10 employees, with 3 of those engaged in high-level engineering, project management, and quality control. We continue to invest in expanding our operations to offer additional services and greater flexibility. Our continual investment has earned our company the reputation for being amongst the highest quality fabricators in the domestic market, with an ongoing commitment to on-time delivery and customer satisfaction.
Mission of the Position
The Senior Project Manager is the primary point-person responsible for planning, executing, and delivering Alloy’s welding and fabrication projects on time, within budget, and in accordance with all required quality standards and specifications. This includes responsibility for monitoring aspects of project engineering, execution, part procurement, risk assessment, commercial issues, customer correspondence, and information transfer regarding the project inside and outside the company.
The Senior Project Manager is required to intimately understand clients’ businesses, possessing an interest in helping the company grow by offering more value-added services to those clients.
The Senior Project Manager will be part of the company’s management team and will have considerable input into the direction and growth of the company, along with other senior managers. The candidate must have project management expertise as well as general business acumen.
- Manage the company’s projects from start-up of an order through to completion, including taking responsibility for resource planning, scheduling, documentation, budget, customer communication and any other activities required for success of the project.
- Be responsible for developing and issuing the project requirements and instructions to the production team. This includes ensuring that all bills of material, drawings, inspection hold points, and work instructions are correct and within specification.
- Be the primary point of contact with customers, ensuring that customer expectations are being met and exceeded.
- Plan all project timelines, milestones, and deliverables using the appropriate software tools.
- Track project costs and progress and report out to clients, the project team, and company management.
- Be responsible for identifying cost and schedule overruns, and provide recommendations for action to correct.
- Manage scope changes, identify cost and delivery impact, and communicate internally and to clients.
- Provide recommendations to resolve quality or technical issues through the course of fabrication.
- Develop Bills of Manufacturing from customer drawings, including all material, subcontracting, operations, and inspection required.
- Provide technical expertise to customers throughout the project, from estimation through to fabrication and delivery.
- Perform project analysis at project completion, including evaluation of cost, delivery, and lessons learned.
- Assist QA department with technical issues regarding customer project specifications related to NDE, fabrication, welding, and machining.
- Assist shop personnel with welding, fabrication, and assembly issues.
- Develop customer relationships with a view to growing the business.
- Assist sales department to develop quotations from client RFQ’s.
- Coordinate project sub-contract work (i.e. plate rolling, machining, painting, heat treating, etc.).
- Mentor and coach junior project designers.
- Mechanical Engineering degree is preferred.
- 5 – 10 years of project management experience in industrial steel fabrication; PMP an asset.
- Proven delivery of successful projects; on schedule and within budget.
- Ability to design, communicate, and implement technical solutions.
- Excellent relationship management skills, both internally and externally.
- Knowledgeable in estimating the fabrication cost of custom metal fabrications.
- Competent in using AutoCAD and SOLIDWORKS to develop fabrication drawings and details.
- Knowledgeable in fabrication and machining practices, material specifications, and subcontracted trades capabilities.
- Knowledgeable in general business concepts such as budgeting, sales, negotiation, goal setting, profit and loss, and LEAN manufacturing.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Be able to work effectively both independently, with minimal supervision, as well as closely with customers, inspectors, and shop trades in a small team environment.
- Have experience in design, fabrication, and project management.
- Be looking for a long-term position where he/she can grow in experience and responsibility and become a key member of company management.